Sunday, November 10, 2013

Eating the world's best pig in Cebu

Day 1
Apr 26, 2013
Cebu

Cebu city was actually the first place I visited wherein I traveled by plane - that was back in 2002. I, together with my family, stayed at Plantation Bay for 3 nights and I distinctively remember my sister paying an obscene amount of money for our accommodation back then...

This time around, I traveled to Cebu city with a few of my long-time friends - Andy, Ching, Melissa and  Lee & Jezzer with their 2 kids. We arrived at Mactan airport at past 4 PM and went immediately to Sampaguita Suites Plaza Garcia, a simple and affordable hotel, in Cebu city which was almost an hour away - the worse part was realizing we were coming back the following morning to Mactan to visit Plantation bay.

Double room at Plaza Garcia

We ate dinner at Zubuchon to taste "the best pig ever", as claimed by none other than world-renown American chef Anthony Bourdain. I never liked Lechon and cannot figure out why it is a popular food staple in gatherings - sure, it looks extravagant (bongga!) to have a roasted pig as the centerpiece in the buffet table, but I usually find lechon to be chewy and devoid of taste (I need sauce when I eat lechon - lots of it).

But Zubuchon's Lechon is different. I enjoyed this mouthwatering lechon - the skin is perfectly crunchy and the meat is tasty (with all the herbs and spices Zubucno claims to have added, it should be tasty) and very tender.

Zubuchon

Lechon

The biggest surprise though for me was not the lechon (Bourdain can't be wrong) but the Kamias shake - who knew the very sour Kamias can be turned into one refreshing drink. I can't help but wonder though how many tablespoons of sugar was added to get that perfect fusion of sweet and sour tastes.

Kamias Shake

No comments: