Friday, May 01, 2009

Lost in Amsterdam

Day 1
April 8, 2009
Amsterdam

My 19-day Europe trip started with an overnight stopover at Amsterdam on my way to Paris. My friends had direct flights to Paris from Manila and Singapore so I was all by myself in exploring the city for around 7 hours, 2 hours of which were spent on finding my hotel!

The hotel website's map, which I printed and brought with me, showed that the hotel was just 1 block across the highway from the train station exit. It was actually easy to follow, but only if you start at the correct exit. I got out from an exit at one end of the train station while the map's starting point was apparently at the other end of the very huge and long train station.

I was so dead tired once I found hotel Brian, the very cheap hotel I booked. It was actually a hostel. My room was 3 meter square(!) and was just enough for my height. Worse, restroom was shared with the other rooms. I willingly paid extra bucks to get my own room, which was at the 3rd floor, reached only thru a very narrow staircase and an even narrower steps. I walked up and down the stairs sideways!

It was definitely not the best way to start my vacation. I missed the Anne Frank museum which was the one thing I was looking forward in Amsterdam. I have read Anne's diary in anticipation of the trip. I even bought the museum ticket online in advance to avoid the long queue.

Anyhow, I still very much enjoyed my first taste of Europe. Amsterdam was unlike any other places I have been. The canals, quaint structures, and world-famous red light district made it a unique and unforgetable city.




I took this picture during a swing ride (locally known as Flying Fiesta) which rose up as high as the Ferris wheel beside it. I thought it would be a relaxing kind of ride but it was not. It was terrifying and it was twice chilly up above.



I was not sure if it was allowed to take picture of the window displays of lingerie-clad women so these were the best I can get. My mind was forever robbed of its innocence after a trip to this red-light district.




Here's one offering peep show where I willingly got robbed 4 euros:



Nope, I did not try anything in the equally famous coffee shops. I should have, but I was afraid of the outcome.

No comments: