Saturday, May 09, 2009

Bella Roma

Day 4
April 11, 2009
Rome

The aiport shuttle was scheduled to pick us up at 3:40 am from the Hotel des Victoires. At 3:39 am, I was still figuring out how to squeeze in my just-used shower kit to my tightly-packed baggage! The shuttle was on time unfortunately. Even more unfortunate, there were other people in the shuttle who waited for us. That was a bit embarassing.

We arrived at Ciampino airport in Rome at 8:20 am. We then rode the bus for an hour to get to Termini Railway station (the central station), which was one station away from the hotel we booked. With our heavy baggages, we decided to take a taxi instead of the tube. It was supposed to cost us 10 euros only according to the hotel's website but we ended up paying 32 euros, after the driver cleverly swtiched the money we gave to a note with a lower value! Filipino taxi drivers (at least the bad ones) have not mastered that trick yet.

Hotel Napoleon was the best hotel we booked in Europe, not to mention the most epensive too. Our room was elegant and spacious and had WI-FI. On our first night, we were treated to a dinner, which I think came free for booking 3 nights. To say dinner was an understatement actually, as I think we were served a full day's meal that night. Each was served a 1st and 2nd course, which was a standard meal in Rome. We also had appetizers and desserts. I think my whole meal that night was good for 4 persons!

One thing I looked forward to in going to Rome (or Europe) was to meet my brother, sister-in-law and their Sam, my godchild. They went to Italy to stay and work, just a few months before. It was real nice to be touring Rome with them. It was the first time for me and my kuya to be outside the Philippines together.

Our first stop was the Vatican museum, home of Michaelangelo's famous altar fresco 'The Last Judgement' found at Sistine Chappel, among others. We came in to find an unbelievably long queue to buy tickets. I wonder if these people have not heard of online reservation. I was glad we did as we skipped the queue and went inside instantly.



Classical Antiquities:









Gregorian Egyptian museum:





Gallery of Maps:




Raphael Rooms - The frescoes express rigid and philosophical models of the Renaissance.










Giuseppe Momo's Helicoidal staircase:




Later in the afternoon, we proceeded to St. Peter's Square, found at the other side of the museum. Entrance to the basilica was closed, as people were busily preparing for next day's Easter mass.








After a brief rest stop at St. Peter's Square, a friend of my sister-in-law brought us to Spanish steps, a popular people-watching area. The place was lined with high-end stores in cobblestoned streets.





Lastly, we went to the famous Trevi fountain, where we tossed coins in the fountain, ensuring our return trip to this beautiful city.





This was just the first day and I already fell in love with Rome.

No comments: